When was the last time you took a deep dive into LinkedIn?
I’m not talking about doing a cursory pass-through. I’m talking about the last time you spent an hour going through LinkedIn and doing a concerted outreach effort.
If it’s been a while since you’ve done that, I’d encourage you to block out some time and give it a whirl. In my career, I’ve found that I can often generate revenue just by stirring things up on LinkedIn.
What do I mean by stirring things up? I don’t mean going into LinkedIn and asking for a sale. Nor do I mean setting high expectations that if I contact 100 people on LinkedIn I’ll close 10 sales.
Instead, I go in, shake the branches, have some fun, and then sit back and let the apples fall where they may.
By releasing myself of any big expectations, I’m usually pleasantly surprised when something good happens.
Here are some action steps for you. Below, you’ll find some tips on how you can go into LinkedIn and shake things up with your connections.
- Ask for Advice. The absolute best thing you can do on LinkedIn is to ask for advice. Don’t go in and promote a blog post or a white paper. Instead, go in and ask for advice. Want to give it a try? Click here and start a discussion in our LinkedIn Group by asking, “What are your best social media tips?”, “Do you still make cold calls? If so, what works?” or “How do you use LinkedIn for B2B lead generation?” Go on. Give it a try.
- Update Your Profile Twice a Month. This is an easy way to get on people’s radar screen. Each time you update your profile, LinkedIn lets other users know. When people see your updates, they know you’re active, vibrant and still in business.
- Add a Turner Box Around Your Profile Photo. This is a neat little way to grab people’s attention. It’s based on the fact that the human eye notices the color red more than any other color. By adding a red Turner Box around your profile photo, you can make your LinkedIn profile stand out more which will result in more engagement. (For more on what a Turner Box is and how you can use one, read this post on our blog.)
- Follow Thought-Leaders on LinkedIn Today. LinkedIn Today is a great tool that keeps you up-to-date on the latest industry happenings. Want to sign up? Just go to your NEWS menu item and drag down to LINKEDIN TODAY. You’ll see a list of content providers you can follow, including the 60 Second Marketer.
- Use the Alumni Tool to Connect with Friends. The Alumni Tool is one of the better features on LinkedIn. Go to CONTACTS in the menu bar and drag down to your college or university. There, you’ll see your old friends and, more importantly, their jobs and their companies. Spend 10 minutes reaching out to 10 old friends. You’ll be surprised at how many follow-up with you.
The best advice I can give you about LinkedIn is to actively participate in the platform. The second best advice I can give you is to release yourself of any huge expectations.
If you go into LinkedIn thinking “I’ll do X and I’ll get Y,” you’ll be disappointed. But if you go into LinkedIn with a giving spirit, you’ll be surprised at how many times that approach will reap benefits.
Jamie Turner is the Founder of the 60 Second Marketer and co-author of “How to Make Money with Social Media” and “Go Mobile.” He is also a popular marketing speaker at events, trade shows and corporations around the globe.