December 10th, 2010
Every Friday morning, members of the 60 Second Marketer community receive our weekly e-newsletter that provides new tools, tips and techniques to improve their marketing. (If you’d like to see a sample of our weekly e-newsletter, you can do so by clicking 60 Second Marketer weekly e-newsletter.)
This Friday’s e-newsletter provided several action items marketers should do before the end of the year. The click-through rate was so high on this week’s e-newsletter, that I thought I’d share it with you via the 60 Second Marketer blog.
So here’s the text from this week’s 60 Second Marketer e-newsletter. Enjoy!
Last week’s e-newsletter included 7 action steps I encouraged you to do that day to get more involved in mobile and social media.
Today, at the suggestion of 60 Second Marketer member Hope Flammer (who is the CEO of VoiceQuilt), I’m going to provide 8 action steps to do before the beginning of 2011.
The first few are action steps for you personally. The last few are action steps for your business.
Here we go.
8 Things All Marketers Should Do Before 2011
- Identify Your Calling: Oprah Winfrey was once asked how she knew she had selected the right career. She said, “Because, for me, being in front of a camera is as easy as breathing.” Ask yourself — Is your job as easy as breathing? Is most of what you do natural and effortless? Would you do what you’re doing now for little or no pay? If not, what are you doing to move towards your calling?
- Select Your 3 Words for 2011: I got this idea from Chris Brogan, who selects 3 words that he’s going to focus on each year. My words for 2011 are Balance (because I have a tendency to work too much), Focus (because I’m easily distracted) and Connections (because one of my jobs is to connect people like you with the people at BKV Digital and Direct Response).
- Take a Spin on the Wheel of Life: A few weeks ago, I wrote a blog post about The Wheel of Life. It was written to help people balance their personal lives with their corporate lives. The less balance, the bumpier the ride. The more balance, the smoother the ride. Take The Wheel of Life for a spin.
- Think Backwards: My friend Jerry Brown came up with this term. It’s designed to remind us that the starting point for any good marketing campaign is to get inside the mind of your customer. In other words, to think backwards. By looking at things from your customer’s perspective, you can more easily identify what need you’re fulfilling. So go ahead — think backwards and get inside the mind of your customer.
- Re-Define What it is You’re Selling: If you own a restaurant, you might think you’re selling food. But that’s not correct. Because you’re also selling escape, companionship and variety. Think about what the best-known brands in the world sell. Apple doesn’t sell computers — they sell cool. Porsche doesn’t sell cars — they sell sex appeal. Now, ask yourself what is it that you’re really selling?
- Identify 3 Key Buying Emotions of Your Customer: There are 13 primary emotional triggers that influence people to buy. What 3 are the key triggers for your customers? Read the highlighted article, then identify the 3 that are most important for your business. Follow that up by incorporating the emotional triggers into your ads, your press releases and your social/mobile campaigns.
- Ask Yourself 20 Questions to Help You Differentiate Your Brand: There’s a process you can go through to help you define where your company is and where it should go. If you read my 20 Questions post, you’ll be well on your way towards identifying what it is that makes your product or service different.
- Don’t Look for Information. Instead, Look for Insight: The challenge for most people reading this e-newsletter isn’t that they don’t have enough information, it’s that they have too much information. That’s why we try to do more than just provide information — we try to provide you actionable insights. If you like our action-oriented approach, why not sign up to receive our blog via email? The blog is different from this e-newsletter. And if you sign up, you’ll get short, actionable tips 3 to 5 mornings a week.
You have a lot to do based on the list above. Get hoppin’!
Additional Posts from The 60 Second Marketer Blog:
That’s all for today. Have a terrific weekend!
Chief Content Officer
The 60 Second Marketer, the online magazine of BKV Digital and Direct Response
September 10th, 2010
Every so often, we like to remind our readers of the best ways they can get the most from our site. After all, the 60 Second Marketer is more than just a web magazine — it’s a community of marketing professionals from around the globe who comment, contribute and conspire with one another on the best ways to get the most bang from their marketing dollar.
So, with that in mind, here are the top seven ways to get the most from the 60 Second Marketer:
- Are you interested in staying current on the newest tools, tips and techniques in marketing? Then fill out the box to the right and have the 60 Second Marketer blog delivered to your in-box each morning.
- Comment on our blog: We respond to virtually every comment that’s made on our blog. So if you have a comment about one of our posts, we’ll follow-up on your comment by providing you additional information and insights. Give it a try. Seriously. We really do follow-up.
- Follow us on Twitter: If you’re interested in staying up-to-date on all the latest trends in marketing, you can follow me at 60SecondTweets. I’ll keep you posted on all the latest articles and information all day long. And occasionally, we’ll even say something witty and funny. But only if we’re in a witty or funny mood.
- Have the 60 Second Marketer blog delivered to your in-box every morning: Are you interested in learning about the newest tools, tips and techniques in marketing? Then have the 60 Second Marketer blog sent to your in-box each morning. Just fill out the box to the right of this blog post and walla! It’ll be delivered just about every morning, like magic.
- Sign up for our free weekly eNewsletter: Each week, we send out a whole slew of “How To” articles designed to help you instantly improve your marketing program. If you want tips on social media, email marketing, blogging, direct response marketing or just about any other topic, then sign up for our weekly eNewsletter.
- Visit our QuickTips page: It includes a long list of tips that you can put to use instantly to get the most bang from your marketing dollar.
- Check out our Free Tools page: Our Free Tools page has 18 different free tools or information portals where you can download additional content or tools designed to help you grow your sales and revenue.
- Download a free chapter from my book: Are you serious about social media? Then you’ll want to download the free chapter I’m offering from “How to Make Money with Social Media.” It’s packed with good information.
Of course, all this assumes you’ve taken a deep dive into our free Articles and our free Videos, right? If you haven’t jumped into the fray on those pages, you should start there because they’re packed with great tools and tips on ways you can improve your marketing.
So there you have it. Seven ways to get the most from the 60 Second Marketer. Plus a few bonus tips.
Posted by Jamie Turner, Chief Content Officer of the 60 Second Marketer, the online magazine for BKV Digital and Direct Response.