We’ve heard some pretty great promises about mobile over the past few years; promises that in many cases have yet to be fulfilled. And while I still have faith in the power of mobile as a medium, it's understandable that some people are becoming wary of the potential of mobile. Because of this, fluffy promises and pretty screenshots may not cut it when you’re trying to pitch a mobile campaign to your CFO. So here is a round-up of some of the strongest stats (and their sources) to support your argument for mobile.Mobile is EVERYWHERE:
Mobile is Immediate and Contextual
- There are 271 million mobile subscribers in the US. Charts Bin
- 82% of adults have a cell phone. PEW
- 31% of mobile subscribers own a smartphone. Nielsen
- There are five times as many cellphones in the world as PCs.
- 25% of Americans use only mobile devices to access the internet, as opposed to desktops. On Device Research
- By leveraging MMS and SMS, brands can reach nearly 95 percent of mobile phone subscribers on both smartphones and non-smartphones alike. Mobile Marketer
Mobile Outperforms other Media
- The average person has their cellphone within reach 14 hours a day.
- 90% of text messages are read within 3 minutes of being delivered. Singlepoint
- 9 out of 10 mobile searches lead to action, over half leading to purchase. Google
- 79% of smartphone users use their phone to help with shopping, with 74% ultimately making a purchase as a result. Google
- Mobile coupons receive 10x higher redemption rates than print coupons.
- Mobile ads perform 2 to 3 times better than online ads in key metrics such as brand favorability, awareness, and purchase intent. InsightExpress
- 70% of mobile searches lead to action within one hour, as opposed to online searches, 70% of which lead to action within 1 month. Microsoft
- The Weather Channel reports some of their advertisers receive 6- 7 times higher click through rates on mobile than on the desktop version. Ogilvy
Of course the argument for mobile marketing is different for every company, but hopefully these facts will help you support your claims and win over even the biggest stat-cruncher in your company.Posted by Nicole Hall, Account Manager with Mobilize Worldwide. Mobilize Worldwide develops mobile apps, mobile ad campaigns, mobile websites and just about anything else related to mobile marketing for brands interested in growing their sales and revenue using this new and emerging medium.